January 14, 2013

Planet Yo

Mental is a band that I miss dearly.  Their first few releases are some of the best of their particular style of hardcore.  Alongside contemporaries like Righteous Jams and Rampage, they helped pioneer that Lockin' Out sound - the bouncy, fun spirited hardcore from the early 2000's.  I recently acquired two of their releases that cover both ends of the bands' spectrum.  The Yo! EP is probably my favorite release of theirs, and their sole LP, Planet Mental, is probably my least favorite of their releases.  Yo! is a great representation of this style of hardcore, but the LP saw the band go in a bit of a more serious direction, which ended up being a bit forgettable.  I do still like the LP though.  You can even tell by the different art styles that the LP is more serious than the EP here.

Pink vinyl is from the first press.  Not sure on the pressing for the LP.





1 comment:

  1. My favorite is the Gill Man ("Creature from the Black Lagoon") breaking into a car. YES!

    ReplyDelete