June 21, 2013

Skinjob

Yet another LP I've been waiting for for what seems like forever.  Hatred Surge's latest effort 'Human Overdose' put out on Iron Lung Records.  There are so many things I want to say about this record, but I just don't know how.  By now you're probably (at least) aware of this Texas band.  There have been many incarnations of this band, but one constant driving force is Alex Hughes.  At one point this was a one man band with Hughes filling every position, but now there are three members filling the ranks.  I've always been a big fan of the Surge so I'm not sure if the two additional members had any influence on the songwriting here, but this is some of the band's best material.  This record has more of an old school death/grind influence to it, as opposed to the powerviolence influence.  Those elements are still present but overall I'd consider this more metal oriented.  I read a description on the VLV board that represents this record better than anything I could put into words. "It sounds like a bunch of old Earache bands thrown into a blender."  That's honestly what this sounds like, and I love it.  Top of the year list for sure.

My copy came on this pinkish red color.  I've also heard of others getting black copies.  Also take note of the awesome Daniel Shaw artwork.  Killer.

No comments:

Post a Comment