November 27, 2012

Grind The Pigs

There aren't too many bands that have an original take on a genre of music anymore.  This holds especially true for a genre such as grindcore, however I feel that +HIRS+ succeeds in being original, for the most part at least.  The band recently started up a Kickstarter to raise funds for their 'First 100 Songs' LP.  While I generally think Kickstarter's are completely stupid and bullshit in general, this is the best use of one I've seen thus far.  If you're unfamiliar with the band (like I was until recently) they are a two piece queer, cross-dressing, cop-hating grindcore band from Philadelphia.  The band is made up of a vocalist and a guitarist, and all of the drumming is done with a drum machine.  Seeing as I'm a drummer I generally frown on drum machines, but the programming here is so good that I can overlook it.  You'd be hard pressed to find a live drummer that can pull off this stuff perfectly.

As I've said already, this is the 'First 100 Songs' LP, which compiles all of the band's material up to this point.  The packaging for this thing is nothing short of spectacular so let's get started.  Both the front and back cover are screen printed, as well as the inside cover.




The dust sleeve that holds the record is screen printed on both sides as well.



Included are some stickers and a full color insert that has a collage of covers from all of the band's previous releases.


Lastly there is a screen printed poster that was included.


Finally, here is a picture of the entire package all together.


All and all this is one of the most well packaged records I've ever seen.  The music on this thing smokes too, so I'll be keeping up with the band more closely from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment